Moringa Leaf, also known as drumstick leaf is the most nutritious one, which should never be neglected from your diet.The fast growing moringa trees are majorly found in tropics and they are also a part of traditional medicine, used in India and other South East Asian countries for centuries.
Amazingly, the moringa leaves have the medicinal values that it could prevent and cure over 300 diseases. With the rich content of calcium, protein, vitamin C, potassium and beta-carotene, moringa has got all the valuable reasons to be included in your regular diet.
What can Moringa do for you?
- Youthful looking skin
- Healthier hair, scalp / nails
- Best skin / hair moisturizer
- Heals wound inside your stomach
- Helps to reduce blood diarrhea
- Helps to reduce a headache
- Boost nutrients without adding calories
- Presence of fiber / chlorogenic acid helps in weight loss
- Purifies blood
- Reduce cholesterol
- Excretes toxins out of your body
- Builds immunity power against joint pain
- Cure mouth ulcer / stomach ulcer
- Best treats eye diseases / fever
Taking moringa leaves and drumsticks at least twice a week can keep you healthy and energetic.
Nutritional Values of Moringa Leaves:
Besides knowing the various health benefits of moringa leaves and drumsticks, here are the nutritional values of one ounce of moringa leaves:
- Iron 7mg
- Phosphorus 70 mg
- Fat 1g
- Protein 7g
- Calcium 435mg
- Minerals 2%
- Fiber 1%
- Water content 76%
- Vitamin C 220mg
In addition to the above-said nutrients, moringa leaves also contain, other 80 nutrients, 46 antioxidants, which include essential amino acids, Vitamin A, and potassium.
How is Moringa the Superfood?
Here are a few reasons making Moringa, the super food:
- 9 times the content of protein in yogurt
- 12 times the content of vitamin C in orange
- 10 times the content of Vitamin A in carrots
- 15 times the content of potassium in bananas
- 17 times the content of calcium in milk
- 25 times the content of iron in spinach
Medicinal Qualities of Moringa Leaf Juice:
Here we see some of the best medical qualities of moringa leaves:
- Moringa juice can effectively help in stabilizing blood pressure and treat anxiety. It can control glucose levels, especially in diabetic patients
- Take moringa leaf juice with coconut milk and add honey to taste. Taking this drink for 2 times a day can help you get a better remedy for dysentery, colitis, and diarrhea
- You can take moringa leaf juice added with carrot juice as a remedy for diuretic action.
Other Medical Qualities:
- A headache: Rub leaves and buds on temple to treat a headache
- Glandular swelling: Applying fresh leaf poultice can help reduce glandular swelling
- Skin antiseptic: Apply on the infected area of the skin
Treat / Cure Diabetes with Moringa Leaves
The production of insulin level is affected in diabetic patients. However, moringa leaves can help to provide required energy for the patients without sugar. Moringa is the best recommended herbal medicine, which can effectively reduce sugar level. Here are a small, but effective moringa tips to treat diabetes:
- Take a handful of moringa leaves
- Wash it well and boil in 3 cups of water
- Boil it well until it reduces to 1 cup
- Strain the pulp
- Drink at least 2 or 3 times a day for 2 months
Moringa Seeds to Purify Water:
According to the estimation of The World Health Organization, about 1.6 million people die across the world, drinking unsafe water. In this aspect, the moringa seeds act as an effective and natural water purifier.
How to purify water:
- Crush the moringa seeds
- Add to the drinking water
Moringa seeds act as the best natural binder. It helps to remove bacteria, salt, fine particles and other impurities in the water. It makes the water absolutely safe to drink.Besides the above said medicinal qualities, moringa juice can also be taken to treat and cure fever, ear and eye infections, bronchitis, catarrh, scurvy and inflammation of mucus membrane. It also helps to kill intestinal worms. Pregnant and feeding women can take moringa leaves regularly to get more nutrition and milk production. It helps to treat anemia.
Interesting and simple to make Moringa Leaves / drumstick Recipes:
Now, after knowing the amazing medicinal values and health benefits of moringa leaves, you should also know how tasty these leaves are.
Moringa not only contains medical benefits but a perfect choice to add to your meals, as the taste of moringa leaves is amazing, that you will often want to include in your regular diet.
Are you looking for the ideas about how to cook moringa leaves and drumstick?
Here follows a few simple to make the tasty recipes for you!
- Wash moringa leaves and chop
- Add chilies, coconut oil and mustard seeds
- Cover the pan and steam it until cooked
- Add salt
- Add fresh coconut to taste better
- This recipe is best with dhal and steamed rice
- Boil sliced carrots, onions, and tomatoes with moringa leaves in vegetable stock
- Add salt and pepper
- The best recipe to warm and energize you during rainy season
- Use moringa leaf powder or preferably fresh leaves
- Boil it in water
- Add sweetener if required
- Add finely chopped moringa leaves with wheat flour
- Add salt and cumin seeds to taste better
- Make it into dough
- Roll it and put in a heated pan
- Smear ghee or oil
- Cook both the sides
- Serve hot with kurma, tomato chutney or dhal
Moringa ready-made mix / podi:
- Wash and dry moringa leave well
- Dry roast in a pan until the leaves turn crisp
- Dry fry ingredients like pepper, red chilly, coriander, cumin seeds, gram dhal, urad dhal and asafoetida
- Add salt
- Mixer grinds well to make it powder
- Store it in an airtight container
- You can add this podi with steamed rice, idlis and dosas adding ghee or gingelly oil
- Add finely chopped moringa leaves to adai batter
- You can also add some finely chopped onion, curry leaves, green chilly to taste better
- Make an adai on dosa pan
- Serve hot with coconut / tomato and other varieties of chutneys as you prefer
- This is very simple
- Simply prepare your own style of sambar
- And instead of adding vegetables or in addition to other vegetables, add a handsome amount of moringa leaves to dominate the taste
- Serve hot with steamed rice and ghee
- This is also the best combination for idly and dosa
Moringa Leaves Thogayal:
This is another wonderful recipe, which you should never miss to taste. Here follows the preparation:
- Take red chilies, urad dhal, scrapped coconut, garlic cloves
- Clean moringa leaves
- Now heat oil in a pan and fry all the above said ingredient well
- Add salt and asafetida
- Mixer grind to smooth paste or as you want
This is the best combination for chapati, parathas, and other major foods.
Note:Although moringa leaves have amazing health benefits and they are tasty too, there are still a few things to be taken into your consideration while cooking. It is very important that you need to cook the moringa leaves properly and if required consider pressure cook, especially when you are preparing for your kids. This is because, although the leaves possess properties to aid digestion and gastrointestinal health, they are tough to digest. Therefore, proper preparation is important.
What is the Recommended Quantity of Moringa you can take?
Nevertheless, of amazing health benefits, nutritional values and the easy availability of moringa leaves, there is, of course, a limit on the quantity you can consume.
To help you understand better:
- 60 -100 gms of fresh leaves can meet your daily nutritional and Vitamin C & A needs
Note: The vitamins may degrade quickly as you cook, therefore, consuming fresh leaves in the form of juice and other recipes is recommended to get expected nutritional values.
It is recommendable to take fresh moringa leaves soon they are harvested.
Besides knowing many amazing benefits and how to use moringa leaves in your daily diet, the moringa tree can be easily grown in your garden and even terrace garden. They grow widely in the tropical regions and require very less maintenance and watering. There is no doubt that moring tree at your home can yield you continuous leaves and drumsticks for your instant need.